Friday, July 16, 2010

Here's the thing with trains...



...you have to check the schedule to get there and back. I went to the Haarlem Organ Improvisation Competition, then explored Haarlem a bit more. It looked like they were having some sort of large party in the Grotemarket (open town square outside the church). It didn't appeal to me (looked like pickpocket central), but I saw most of the city, now deserted at 9:30 PM. I decided to get back to my room. When I got to the station, I swiped my card to pay for the train, and looked at the schedule: the next train to Heemstede is at 1AM! I checked all the schedules, same thing. I checked out of the train station and wondered if I could find something to do until then..

It didn't seem I had much to do. Then it hit me - I could get a taxi, given these were dire circumstances! I kept my eye open for one, and walked by the bus stop - the bus is of course not an option, because every Detroiter knows buses are slow, confusing, and dirty. Well, I glanced at the bus stop sign.. and it had a full schedule on it! This bus didn't go to Heemstede, however.. but there was a clear sign that said which one did! Long story shortened, I rode the bus back to my place! I did forget to "check out" on the bus, thus incurring a fine of 4 Euros, but it's still cheaper than a cab!


the organ competition