Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Fair Trade?

"Concert Saturday night... Bavo kerk... 9:15... 21.15... DON'T FORGET!"

I kept telling myself this, over and over. Then I check all the details in the guidebook, just to be sure. And I'm right on all of them. Repeat this several times a day for the past few days. Every time all the details match up. I have time to get dinner a little before 7, make it nice and leisurely, then get to the church in time to hear Mozart's Requiem.



So I'm patiently explaining to the register operator that American credit cards don't have smart chips in them, and that he has to use the magnetic stripe. This gets me nervous, so I check my cell phone - 8:20. 20.20. Still plenty of time. Also, better make absolutely sure that's right - it could be at 9! What does my program say? 20.15. As soon as I get it paid for, I run to the church and it's locked and they won't let anyone in late.

And I'm ok with that. Really. Why? Because I had Dutch pizza.

For those of you who don't know me well enough, pizza is my favorite food. I can eat it 3 meals a day, every day, and maybe tire of it a bit but still enjoy it. So after falling in love with Dutch food, I decide I have to see if they can improve upon pizza.

I went to a restaurant called Pasta di Mamma for dinner last night. I did what I usually do in a Dutch restaurant: walk in, and look around confusedly until someone tells me what to do. A woman working at the register started to explain things to me, rather poorly. It turns out this is a weird restaurant. As near as I figured out, it's like a cafeteria: you get a card with money on it, and use it to buy food and drinks. I wound up getting a pepperoni pizza, and it was delicious!! Cripsy, oily, cheesy, and they pour garlic oil on it at the end!



This was maybe the only thing that could make up for missing that concert, but it did the trick!